Associate Director of Youth Ministries
A challenging opportunity to be an integral part of the growing and dynamic Hinsdale United Methodist Church (“HUMC”). This role is responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing a vibrant Youth Ministry Program designed to promote the spiritual growth of youth in grades 6 through 12 (middle school and high school). The role works as a team member that is focused on families, children and youth ministries to deliver an integrated and seamless experience instilling a foundation of faith for the youth of our congregation.
Location: 945 South Garfield, Hinsdale, IL 60521.
HUMC is in a vibrant western suburb in the greater Chicago metropolitan area and is easily accessible via train or expressway. The church members reside in over 25 communities near Hinsdale. There are several middle schools and high schools near the church.
Title: Associate Director of Youth Ministries
Job Type: Part- time position – 20 hours per week
Benefits: Retirement plan (403(b)), and Continuing Education allowance.
Reports To: Initially, this position will report directly to the Senior Pastor. This reporting structure may change in the future depending on the demands of the Church and on the Senior Pastor.
- Education: 4-year degree (Education, Psychology, Youth Ministry, Social Work, and/or related field)
- An understanding of Methodist/Wesleyan theology is a plus.
- Experience: Minimum 3-5 years either managing or working within a youth program in a church setting or other youth organization. Prefer direct experience with 6th – 12th grade youth.
- Faith Foundation. This role requires a committed Christian, with shared beliefs and values of the United Methodist Church. A strong desire to service in a church environment and a passion for working with youth is a plus.
- Communication and Organizational Skills. The candidate must possess excellent written and verbal skills along with proficiency with Microsoft Office Products. Must be able to plan effectively, maintain a schedule, organize, communicate, and lead activities related to youth ministry. Requires Competence in basic lay counseling and listening skills appropriate for youth.
- Relationship Building. The candidate needs to possess strong relationship building skills with both parents and youth. This involves excellent written and verbal communication skills and when to use either or both along with leveraging social media outlets. This role requires an understanding of the interests and priorities of today’s suburban youth (and families) and what energizes & motivates them.
- Teaming. Ability to work cooperatively with others to share ideas, solve problems, and coordinate/leverage HUMC resources. A positive, outgoing, energetic and enthusiastic personality will energize the youth and build trust with the parents.
Contribute leadership, direction, and oversight for all youth programming in a fun, open and inviting setting based on spiritual growth. Programming includes all youth activities which might include weekly youth group meetings, fellowship groups, mission trips, retreats, youth rallies and other special events.
- Provide strategic planning and visioning that inspires and drives the youth ministry while growing participation from within and outside the HUMC membership. This includes goal setting, evaluation of existing programs and creating new youth opportunities in alignment with the HUMC overall vision.
- Work closely with the Senior Pastor to set realistic goals for growth and development of the overall HUMC youth ministry
- Identify and utilize learning materials and other resources with spiritual content that relate to current needs and challenges of today’s youth.
- Initiate and design new youth programs as needed.
Relationships & Communication
- Responsible for connecting and building meaningful relationships with youth that grows, deepens and enhances their Christian journey of faith.
- Build effective relationships and team with HUMC staff and senior Pastor:
o Work with the Pastoral Staff to coordinate youth involvement in the HUMC worship activities along with the Youth Group programming.
o Work with Director of Music to identify opportunities for youth involvement in choirs, worship
bands and other musical events.
o Work with Director of Children’s ministries to build relationships with the parents and future youth coming into the Youth Program.
o Work with Missions Work Area to identify ways for youth to participate in mission activities.
o Establish relationships with the Parents to understand the demands and priorities in each of the families and how to integrate the youth ministry around the various demands. Become accepted as part of the family’s priorities.
- Work collaboratively with the HUMC Youth Committee and utilize their support and direction, through scheduled monthly interaction and effective communication.
- Design and maintain effective communication programs with youth and their families through regular communications (e-mail or other electronic media, mailings, phone calls and 1:1 meetings). Create and maintain calendar of planned youth activities and update regularly.
- Publish regular updates in church communications (e-News, Flame, or Sunday Bulletin Insert) and coordinate with the Director of Communications to provide regular updates via email, Facebook, Instagram, and the HUMC website updates to promote youth events.
- Recruit and train volunteers to work with the HUMC youth and actively engage volunteers (both parents and other adults from the congregation) to support the youth ministry. Maintain high visibility with the HUMC congregation.
- Keep accurate records of attendance and maintain up-to-date database of current and targeted youth, with full contact information for the youth and their family.
- Operate within compliance with “Safe Sanctuary Guidelines” for protection of youth, parents & staff.
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to Rev. Jon McCoy at email@example.com.